Thursday, October 30, 2014

October Book Reviews

 
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

It's 1946 and Juliet Ashton  a writer of a newspaper column during the war has writers block. Julia receives a letter form a Dawsey Adams from Guernsey as he has received a book Juliet used to own. Which starts a lovely tale about "The Guernsey Literary  and Potato Peel Society.
 
This book has been written as series of letters and to start with I found it a little hard to follow, who was who. By the middle of the book I adored every character and was so sad to get to the last page and it all be over. What also makes me sad is that the author of the book died before the book was printed, she has no idea how well received her masterpiece has been.

An Abundance of Katherine's by John Green
Colin has dated 19 Katherine's and after being dumped by another one he embarks on a road trip with his best friend to work out a theorem on the underlying Katherine predictability. Which he hopes will let him measure how long his next relationship will last before he gets dumped again.

This book just didn't do it for me. It just didn't go anywhere and when it did it was really predictable. I guess that's what happens when you read books for teenagers.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
Hazel is a terminally ill teenager, whose life changes when she meets Augustus at a Cancer Kid Support Group. I don't want to write to much more just in case I spoil it for anyone.
 
Well I loved the movie so I had to read the book and of course the book was better. All though the movie was done brilliantly. All of the teenage characters are likeable, it is a gut wrenching read that makes you want to hug the ones you love and keep them safe and sound.
 
Thanks For The Memories by Cecelia Ahern
Joyce has a terrible accident and has a blood transfusion ever since then she is remembering a life that isn't hers, her memories are someone else's. Her marriage falls apart and she moves in with her Dad to start a new life and try to figure out whose memories she has.
 
I love this book especially the relationship Joyce has with her Dad. Joyce's character is someone you can easily relate to and all you want is the best for her. I always find Cecelia Ahern's books like reading a fairy tales for grown up's and this one doesn't disappoint.

10 comments:

Claire said...

I was given The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society in a blog sway a few years ago and I loved it!

Shybiker said...

Good reviews. Thanks. I plan to both read "...Fault..." and see the movie. Do you recommend reading the book before or after watching the movie?

Jade Wright said...

I'm busy reading Gone Girl - after that I'm going on to Fault in Our Stars which I can hardly wait for!! I haven't seen the movie yet ... seriously so hard not to rent it out!! hehe especially after everyone gushing about how good it is!! xxx

www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

Kezzie said...

I adore the potato peel book- it was so well written! Any book told through correspondence is always good!x

Indy said...

Ooo, I LOVE book recommendations! I'll have to check some of these out! :)

Louise said...

Great reviews!! I wish I could get through 1 book let alone 4! Go you! I'd love to read the fault in our stars too xx

Thrive on Novelty

two birds said...

I love adding new books to my must read list! I am afraid to watch The Fault in our Stars because I was a hot mess when I read it...it will have to be an at-home watch!

House in Tillford said...

Nice reviews! I was curious to hear how other John Green books were after reading Fault, shame that it didn't live up to the same standard

Imogen said...

I want to both see and read the fault in our stars but I have so far been too scared of how much I will cry.

Lux G. said...

I like Ahern's There's No Place Like Here. First of hers that I read and I like it. Quite a while for me to accept that it's how the story ended but yes it has its own appeal.

Great review.